[MPlayer-users] /dev/fb0: No such device

Aaron Voisine voisine at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 07:50:57 CEST 2003

I'm a longtime mplayer user on FreeBSD but I'm relatively new
to Linux. Maybe someone can help me out.

I installed mplayer on RedHat 9 using the rpms from freshrpms.net
I get the following error:

fbdev: Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device

I understand that I need to somehow setup the framebuffer or use
an alternate video ouput, however the instructions I found for
enabling framebuffer involve modifing lilo.conf and I'm using grub.
Also if I try to use -vo xv I get:

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Any clues? Can someone walk me through setting up mplayer on
RedHat 9 or point me to the appropriate documentation? I can't
be the only one having this problem can I?

l8r
Aaron