[MPlayer-users] Mplayer_jerky on VIA

Mike Carr mcarr at macrolink.bc.ca
Mon Jun 16 23:05:20 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Clemens W?chter wrote:
 > On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:42:38 -0400 Leslie Huszar <lhuszar at bellsouth.net> wrote:
 > > I treied to use Mplayer 0.9 with Athlon running Redhat 8.0  and the
 > > movie is  jerky.
 > > Then I tried it on VIA 800Mhz motherboard and the result is the  same,
 > > it  appers that the reads fromthe DVD are not continuous and the movie
 > > is  jumpy, jerky, discontinuous.
 > > Next I tried on double Pentium III and it is s ome  beter but still not
 > > enjoyabele.
 > >
 > > Can you advise ?
 >
 > Well, we'd need some extra information, like:
 >
 > a) Did you read the documentation?
 > b) How much horsepower does the Athlon have ( MHZ, Ram, etc)?
 > c) Is the DMA enabled for the dvd drive?
 > d) Did you try -cache xxxx ( xxxx=8192 is a good choice, often)

I found that creating a raw dvd device (i.e. character instead of block)
improved my performance (with xine). I haven't tried the same with
mplayer, nor do I know if mplayer takes advantage of raw dvd devices or
not. (Someone in the know feel free to comment)

I'd second (a) above as well, have you RTFM yet? (BTW, does the mailman
signup page have an RTFM comment in it? Maybe it should, as in "Before
posting to this list you should RTFM". That might be a more productive
place to put it, if it isn't already there... I really should check
before I post ;)

--
-Mike
Systems Administrator