[MPlayer-users] T2 Extreme

Kyle Davenport kdd at tvmax.net
Mon Jun 16 03:28:40 CEST 2003

I'm sure you've all seen the advertisements.  A new DVD edition of
Terminator 2 is out that includes a "High Definition Digital Transfer"
which can "only be played on Windows Media 9 and Windows XP".   Snort.
Could be there are added encryptions on the dvd, but you can download a
clip from
http://hdshowcase.microsoft.com/trailers/terminator2/Terminator2_816p.exe.

I have the WMP 9 Codecs.  It does play fine, for a while, then halts the
sound with:

"Too many video packets in the buffer: (200 in 8421969 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option."

Sometimes there is a "Your system is too SLOW to play this!" before
hand.  I find this a little hard to believe on a dual athlon mp 2400+
with 1 Gb ram and GeForce4 Ti4200.   In fact whether sound is on or off,
load never goes over 75%.   I can play 1080i ATSC transport streams with
no problem, for instance.

Of course, with "-nosound" there is no problem and no dropped frames.
I've tried every suggested performance option, and it always cacks at
the same spot (8421969 bytes).  Repositioning the stream restarts sound
but it again dies after the same amount of time.  Using -vo sdl is the
only way to get the correct aspect ration (2.35:1) and -ao sdl is most
forgiving about dropping the sound (counter-intuitive - to me anyway).

Kyle
cc: kdd at tvmax.net