[MPlayer-users] mencoder /mplayer bugs

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jun 11 22:54:57 CEST 2003

jean luc MALET wrote:

> in fact using the slave mode I could calculate the timings if I could
> have the slave mode working.....
> It seems to work when I type on the mplayer xterm but remote don't work
> (ie redirecting using a fifo or a pipe the control output to mplayer
> input).....

I just messed around with slave mode and a fifo. I'm able to control it
by:

$ mkfifo fifo
$ mplayer file.avi -slave < fifo
(mplayer waits for the fifo). Now, in another terminal:
$ cat > fifo
(mplayer starts playing). You can type commands to cat and mplayer will
observe them. Now, if you hit ^D to end catting, mplayer continues to
play but will not recognize any more input from the fifo. I really don't
know if this is expected/proper/normal behavior; usually I only use
fifos for non-interactive stuff. In those cases, however, when the
program at one end of the pipe quits, so does the other. Perhaps mplayer
just "closes" the fifo at its end, and ignores it henceforth.

-Corey