[MPlayer-users] RTFM?

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Wed Jun 11 01:03:34 CEST 2003

В сообщении от Вторник 10 Июнь 2003 16:35 Mike Carr написал:

> >>I'm not meaning this as a flame, but is it really constructive to
> >>constantly insert RTFM into every list post? It starts to sound a
> >>bit snappy. Whatever. It's your list, you provide this service for
> >>free, etc etc. I'm not bitter personally.
> >>

> >Yeah, it's not particularly effective.
>
> *whew* I thought that I was going to horribly offend someone by my
> comment :)
>
> >>That aside, the "RTFM!!! http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS" link 404's
> >>anyways (which I'm sure is an entirely temporary thing given the
> >>number of pages on mplayerhq.hu that refer to the /DOCS section).
> >>

> >It works for me. DOCS/ also refers to a directory in your mplayer
> >installation not just a web page.
> >

> Yeah, I think that any mplayer hacker will see the relative path and
> correctly interpret what it means. New users? I don't know one way or
> the other. I think the important bit is that new users are going to see
> that pretty blue underlined text, click on it and wonder why the RTFM
> message 404's.
>
> Out of curiousity, does anyone know how long /DOCS has been inaccessible
> on mplayerhq.hu? I would assume that it broke with some of the homepage
> upgrades but I haven't really been keeping track...
>
> --
> -Mike

Hmmm, I don't check it out that often, but every time I went there - it was
there, just like it is now...The case is a little funny, but it still should
work OK(making a wild guess - won't work in IE vx.x :))).

As for the RTFM lines - I would strongly oppose removing them, even if they
aren't that effective - who knows how many _stupid_ questions they in fact
help to eliminate :) Besides, a person who does ask such question will have
absolutely no excuse when there are lines of "RTFM!!!" right in front of him.
They certainly don't look offensive to me...Just one of those not very
effective, but necessary things IMHO :)