[MPlayer-users] mencoder /mplayer bugs

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Jun 10 22:34:38 CEST 2003

Chris Phillips wrote:
> Quoting jean luc MALET <jean-luc.malet at irts.fr>:
>

>>I've writed a  script to do DVD to Xvid encoding with multiple selection
>>(for anime dvd ripp with cut from episode to episode)
>>I've figured that time displayed by mplayer isn't the same than the time
>>used with -ss option (i do a mplyer -ss 700 which seeks me to the time
>>1430) (the value are just a hint since it seems that the shift change on
>>each dvd) this problem leads to the timings problem : I want to encode a
>>small piece of 45s begining at -ss 700 so I use mencoder -ss 700 -endpos
>>45 .... ok. BUT the most common method used is to determine timing using
>

> No sh*t sherlock... have you read any of the many identical messages posted here
> in the last few days?

Give him a break, he's explaining that he understands the presence of
that bug, and is trying to work around it.

To the original poster, I don't think you'll be able to manage deducting
the clip length by using -ss and subtracting the times mplayer shows. As
you've already seen, the values are inaccurate, and sometimes the
timestamps on the video "packets" on a DVD reset to zero, making it
impossible to know the time if you've just jumped to that position.
These are both known annoyances of DVDs, that have yet to be worked
around in mplayer.

-Corey