[MPlayer-users] Audio encoding

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Tue Jun 10 22:05:16 CEST 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Korosi Akos wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was trying to use MPlayer as a simple (but powerful) audio
> encoder.
> I wanted to encode wma to mp3.
> I tried to use the wma file as an ordinal avi file, and to
> create an mp3 output
> like this:
> mencoder ericClapton.wma -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o try.mp3
>
> Then mencoder does a segfault and dumped the core...
>
> Probably I didn't understand this whole thing, and probably
> this is my fault.

totally your fault. did you actually read the manpage at all? mencoder
makes mpg or avi containers, nothing else (unless that's changed already)

what you'd basically make there, if it was going to work, which is won't
is an avi file with only an audio stream in it.

you'd need to create such a "movie" file and then use -dumpaudio to get
the audio back out of it... bit convoluted really....

chris