[MPlayer-users] VIDIX problem

Juan C. Gallardo juan at mobile.ecei.tohoku.ac.jp
Tue Jun 10 08:04:31 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm kind of new to Linux worls, and I just installed SUSE linux 8.2.
Everything is running very well, but I have a problem with mi mplayer.
The mplayer that came with the SUSE distribution didn't work with my DivX
movies, so I recompiled the whole mplayer, and afterwards I got a new
driver, the VIDIX.
This one worked perfect, risizing and everything, but only as a root,  then
I read in the mplayer document, that in order to use the VIDIX driver I have
to be or root or give SUID permission to the mplayer.
Then I decide to give the permission to any user, and to do this I was
supouse to do:

chown root /usr/local/bin/mplayer
chmod 750 /usr/local/bin/mplayer
chmod +s /usr/local/bin/mplayer

After doing this the VIDIX driver disapeared, and the player returned to
look and act as the one that was installed with the SUSE original
distribution and not as the one that I recompiled.

Can anyone explain to me what did I do, and how can I give the permission to
the software in order to use the driver with any user?

Thanks

Juan