[MPlayer-users] merging/joining/concatenating avis ...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Jun 8 21:13:27 CEST 2003

[cc: me on replies!]

moin,

i know that this is a faq and prolly has been discussed to death, but
obviously not with enough convincing arguments ... ;)

the suggestion is to simply concat the files and framecopy the result to
create a valid avi. the problem is, that if a broken file preceedes
another file, the beginning of the next stream may not be detected. that
means that another framecopy pass needs to be applied to the fragments
before cat-ing them together to ensure proper operation.  for me this
sounds like a convincing reason to make mencoder accept multiple
separate input files for one output stream ...

fwiw, transcode's avimerge hangs with broken input, so the fixing
pre-pass needs to be done anyway. ergo, it's not more useful than
mencoder at the moment ...

greetings