[MPlayer-users] DVD PLayback with -ss option

Neilen brick at adept.co.za
Sun Jun 8 15:56:07 CEST 2003

Hi

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 07:00, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:20:18PM -0400, A. Campling wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've been trying to use -ss option to playback a DVD using the -ss flag to
> > start the playback at some point other than the start of title 1, chapter
> > 1. For instance:
> > mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -ss 40:00
> > When I do this, it takes me to the time on the disc marked 58:57.
> >
> > For various other time settings, I get the same problem - never to where I
> > request, always some point forward from that.  I looked at all the numbers
> > at it appears to be a linear relationship of 1.5x what I request - but
> > never exactly that, more like 1.5 give or take a minute or so here and
> > there.
> > I've verified that the times mplayer reports are correct on a component
> > player, so it's not the the OSD is wrong.
> >
> > Is this a known issue?  anyone know how to correct this?
>
> Yes, it's a known issue. The only way to reliably seek to 40:00 in
> mpeg is to read and parse headers for the ENTIRE file up to that
> point, which needless to say will take a bit of time... :( You can't
> even optimize it with a binary search since timestamps in mpeg streams
> can and often do lie/reset-to-0 at random... :(

Certainly one could kludge this up to at least work acceptably by:

First dividing the requested amount by 1.5, then checking the actual
timestamp, and then searching to within a certain tollerance using
feedback.

I mean, this is what I do manually when I want to seek to a certain
position in a DVD, so I'm sure it can be automated ;)

Cheers
Neilen

Neilen <brick at adept.co.za>