[MPlayer-users] Sound choppy and clicking, echoing

Julian Gough gough at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 8 09:03:27 CEST 2003

Hi group,

I have installed alsa 0.9 (have intel8x0) and it works fine for playing
mp3s and wavs. However when I try to watch video using mplayer 0.9, the
sound is fine for about 15 seconds and then gets worse and worse until
it is choppy, clicking and reverberating... totally awful. If I quickly
pause and play again, then it starts OK again for 15 or so seconds
before deteriorating. I also get problems with xine, mplayer, ogle, omi
and what's more I get the same problem if it is a DVD, an mpeg, or an
avi file. Actually, with xine it has periodic glitches (only in the
audio) playing a DVD. The CPU load is not very high either, so it's not
that. I tried the trial version of the commercial OSS but that was even
worse (in a different way).

Please let me know where you think the problem lies (it may not be
alsa). I can't find a similar problem on any of the lists.

Julian.