[MPlayer-users] Encrypted VOB file (not compiled with libcss support) when playing over mplayer /dev/dvd

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Jun 6 20:37:23 CEST 2003

Chris Phillips wrote:
>>I play Road Trip with :
>>mplayer  dvd://
>

> wrong. mplayer dvd://1

Actually, if you omit the title number, mplayer seems to play the first
title by default. I was surprised to find that out too.... In any case,
though, specifying the title is definitely necessary if you want to play
anything other than 1.

>>I need to automate the whole thing. Put a DVD in my drive push the play
>>button and be happy ;)
>>But if every DVD has other title and works different I can´t automate
>>the whole thing.
>>I don´t want to look at the DVD to decide to use this or that option for
>>mplayer to view the film that´s
>>to hard for dummy people like me :) (Ok I want to build a DVD player
>>without almost any user interaction)

For the original poster, most of the time what you want to watch is
title number 1; DVDs that aren't set up that way are exceptions (at
least from the ones I've seen). Unfortunately, there are lots of
exceptions. For some of these, you can probably get by with determining
which track is longest in duration (lsdvd probably can do that). Others
actually have several titles you might want to watch, such as
DVD-compilations of TV shows, in which case you'll have to do something
more complicated, such as "any title longer than n seconds".

Good luck,
Corey