[MPlayer-users] Re: Getting info from mplayer for semi-automatic encoding script

Neilen brick at adept.co.za
Thu Jun 5 16:19:22 CEST 2003

Hi.

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 15:08, Michael Waters wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 14:37 +0800, Neilen wrote:
> > Right now, I need to get the time length of a movie file. When I use
> > mplayer -identify on avi files, the ID_LENGTH field seems to give me the
> > expected result.
> >
> > On DVDs, however, the value is always too low. It does seem to be
> > proportional to the movie length, however. If on a given DVD I say
> > (using the latest mplayer 0.9 release)
> >
> > mplayer -identify dvd://3, I get (snipping everything before the ID_*
> > fields)
> >
> > ID_FILENAME=DVD title 3
> > ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=0x10000002
> > ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=8000000
> > ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=720
> > ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=480
> > ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
> > ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=1.3333
> > ID_AUDIO_CODEC=a52
> > ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8192
> > ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=384000
> > ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
> > ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
> > ID_LENGTH=4559
> >
> > The real length of the DVD is, however, on the order of 6000s.
>
> I've noticed mplayer gives the wrong length too. I use lsdvd:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidrip/ .
I have seen this, but ideally I'd like to use mplayer for everything,
since i'd want it to work for any kind of input that mencoder supports.
But I guess the idea is no-good if mplayer gives the wrong length ;)

> > I have also noticed that the -ss command makes the same mistake when it
> > is used to seek to a start position in a DVD. ie. seeking to -ss 4550
> > will put me near the end of the movie, but the playing time shown is
> > about 6010s...
>
> ...would be nice if -ss worked for dvds but in my experience, it
> doesn't.  :(
Has it been reported as a bug yet? Should I?  Guess I'll read the famous
bug reporting doc before I do such a thing :)

Cheers
Neilen

Neilen <brick at adept.co.za>