[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.90 + alsa + multichannel output

Mike Woods Mike at The-rubber-chicken-network.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 14:12:41 CEST 2003

I spent ages thinking of a better subject but for some reaosn i coulnt for the
life of me come up with anything shorter than a small novel! :)

First off im running FreeBSD 5.0 on this machine.

Ok, heres my problem, i've just got me an Epia M10000 board in a nice little
cube which will soon be sitting next to my tv performing all sorts of video
related fun BUT i cant get mplayer to produce output besides 256 color.

Mplayer is using SDL for graphics with svgalib, now i cant for the life of me
find a driver that svgalib supports besides vga and again no matter how hard i
try i cant get it to run in anything more than 8 bit screen modes (-bpp does
nothing) also, my machine is setup for vesa support and i've tried vesa both
directly and via sdl and neither works, i rebuilt all of them after i compiled
vesa support into the kernal and dmesg picks up the vesa side of things but
svgalib still insists it doesnt have vesa support, nor can i find any mention
of  vesa support in the Makefile and googling seems to have turned up nothing.

Using vgl for output crashes, directfb doesnt seem to work even though it's
installed and im rapidly aproaching boiling point!

Any ideas on what im doing wrong ?

Mike Woods
IT Technician