[MPlayer-users] Radeon 9000 TV-OUT

Dan ayahuasca at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 3 23:08:36 CEST 2003

Fabio Papa wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hi list,
>	it's been some time since I have this idea to use TV-OUT connector present on
>my radeon 9000 video card, but while in windows it works ok, I cannot make it
>through with linux. I first played a bit with xfree to no avail, and wanted
>to try framebuffer. Someone has had any experience in similar situation? What
>framebuffer driver are you using? radeonfb.o seems useless, even in recent
>kernels, because lack of support for the 9xxx series, and vesafb.o, well, I
>haven't tryed it yet.
>	Can anyone give some advice?
>
>Thanks!

Vesa fb is your only decent option at present.
It works like a charm for me (radeon 64mb ddr) but there is no gui (not
a problem for me, but my girlfriend has a different idea...).
I suppose you could use the vesafb X driver, but you'd loose 3d and xv
acceleration ... doesn't work well at all.
I use the directfb driver with vesa on the console because it's the only
one which works for me - the vesa driver crashes on startup.
Have a look in the Gatos mailing list. There has recently been a
discussion on how to get tv-out working by just setting up some modlines
in /etc/X11/XF86Config, and not using any special drivers, AND keeping
3d and xv acceleration. Sounds too good to be true to me, but apparently
others have verified it.

Dan