[MPlayer-users] Re: Slightly OT: vu meters

seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Tue Jun 3 09:54:09 CEST 2003

Yan Seiner <yan at cardinalengineering.com> writes:
> Has anyone found any good vu meters for linux?  It seems my recording
> levels are all over the place, and it's a real PITA.

i use "record" from kraxels v4l-tools package, which includes a nice
vu meter without needing X, it just needs a terminal.

seife at mixi:~ > which record
/usr/X11R6/bin/record
seife at mixi:~ > rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/bin/record
v4l-tools-3.85-28
seife at mixi:~ > rpm -qi v4l-tools
Name        : v4l-tools      Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 3.85                Vendor: SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 28              Build Date: Mon 17 Mär 2003 19:51:46 CET
Install date: Sam 26 Apr 2003 18:35:22 CEST Build Host: Johnson.suse.de
Group       : Hardware/TV     Source RPM: xawtv-3.85-28.src.rpm
Size        : 667365             License: GPL
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
Summary     : video4linux terminal / command line utilities.
Description :
This package includes a bunch of command line utilities:  v4lctl to
control video4linux devices; streamer to record movies; fbtv to
watch TV on the framebuffer console; ttv to watch tv on any ttv (powered
by aalib), webcam for capturing and uploading images, a curses radio
application, ...

Authors:
--------
    Gerd Knorr <kraxel at suse.de>
seife at mixi:~ >

if you are not using SuSE, you can probably get the xawtv.src.rpm from
a ftp.suse.com mirror and build it from there.

Oh, and dont forget, most PC sound cards begin to distort the signal before
you actually reach the 100% VU mark, i mostly record at about 50%, since my
sources are VHS, the quality loss is not an issue :-)
 Stefan Seyfried, seife at gmx.li