[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer 0.90 + alsa + multichannel output

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jun 3 19:14:14 CEST 2003

Vladimir I. Umnov wrote:
> patch to my last message. I mean interleaved insted of interlaced
> everythere.
> Sorry - it's my bad English too :(.

Well, the two words have very similar English definitions and sounds, so
it's an easy mistake to make, even for a native speaker:

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Interlace In`ter*lace", v. t. & i. imp. & p. p. Interlaced;
    p. pr. & vb. n. Interlacing. OE. entrelacen, F.
    entrelacer. See Inter-, and Lace.
    To unite, as by lacing together; to insert or interpose one
    thing within another; to intertwine; to interweave.

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Interleave In`ter*leave", v. t. imp. & p. p. Interleaved;
    p. pr. & vb. n. Interleaving. Pref. inter- + leaf.
    To insert a leaf or leaves in; to bind with blank leaves
    inserted between the others; as, to interleave a book.

Unfortunately, in the area of video coding, the terms are very distinct.
In any other subject areas, the terms might be interchangeable.

Jonathan Rogers