[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.90 + alsa + multichannel output

Vladimir I. Umnov samba at ezmail.ru
Tue Jun 3 17:08:56 CEST 2003

Hello mplayer-developers!

MP> I think it's bug in mplayer, because in XINE it works ok - and XINE uses
MP> ffmpeg and liba52 and alsa too, so don't think so that's bug in these.

MP> I know that's known problem, I found something about it on mplayer lists,
MP> but the last answer was "we don't know is it bug in mplayer or in alsa, or
MP> maybe
MP> in liba52" - but now I really think that it's bug in mplayer.
I suppose this is due to interlaced output! If mplayer reset() or in
ao_alsa9 calls drop/prepare or something like that, internal buffers
are not corrected. And appears strange swapping of channels.
One can try to fix that by changing interlaced i/o to non interlaced,
but I (at this time) not understand how to "data" in "play_normal"
represented, and how one can (may be with additional buffers and counters)
represent it as noninterlaced and call snd_pcm_writen instead of
snd_pcm_writei.
This will really solve the problem (I think).

p.s. I'am not feel free and may be somebody may implement this idea?
I start to learn ao_alsa9 code because I have SB Live, that works only
with ALSA9 (Center/LFE problem with native creative OSS driver).
p.p.s. I can try to do that, if I understand mplayer's audio output
scheme.
p.p.p.s. Sorry for bad English.