[MPlayer-users] Re: Dumping CC subtitles

ephemeron at softhome.net ephemeron at softhome.net
Mon Jun 2 00:01:45 CEST 2003

On Sat, 31 May 2003 20:38:17 -0500,
Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> ephemeron at softhome.net wrote:

> > You've had a bad day, right?  Please look at what I really
> > wrote above.  Even in my grammatically flawed English, I
> > wasn't telling *YOU* to RTFM.  *I* was referring to myself
> > ("all I have to do").
>
> No, I wasn't even in a bad mood; I just misunderstood you. I'm
> very sorry for jumping to conclusions. I was too defensive. I
> read your response several times, but I still got the wrong
> idea. I'll be more careful next time. We really need the
> <sarcasm> tag; there just aren't enough clues in prose to infer
> the tone of the speaker. Please forgive me for jumping to
> conclusions.

I agree.  Apology accepted.  BTW most people on the list probably
don't speak English as a first language.  So I believe we should
always err on the side of caution (that is, assume the writer
good intentions).

> It reminds me of a Simpsons episode in which Homer is angry at
> his boss and dictates a nasty letter in a sarcastic tone. When
> read in a normal tone, however, the letter sounds perfectly
> amicable except for one last sentence, which was composed by
> Bart. I'm sure the Simpsons fans will remember the episode.

I'm a Simpson's fan, but I didn't catch that episode.

> By the way, did you mean that there are websites with just
> subtitles in easy usable formats? That would be convenient.

Yes.  Google will probably provide a more thorough answer.