[MPlayer-users] Compile with new kernel

gabucino at mplayerhq.hu gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Thu Jul 31 23:49:48 CEST 2003

Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> Yeah ;-) Funnny ;-) EVEN IN THE FAQ OF LFS there is the info you SHOULD NOT
> symlink, and /usr/include/linux should be header files glibc was compiled
> against :) So you're now in a logic bubble :) See again my last long mail.
I'm not in any bubble, because I don't give a hunk of shit on LFS FAQ :)

> Then this was not the right move ;-) Because at least include directory
> should be preserved:
>
> 1. eg you want to compile a separatly distributes kernel module against
>    your kernel which source was already deleted by you ;-)
Yes, in those cases I curse the world until the kernel unpacks ;)
I _did_ use to update my include files, however mostly I'm too lazy to do
it until it's absolutely needed :)
But this has nothing with glibc.

> 2. If you wanna to exploit a new kernel feature, you should include kernel
>    headers and NOT from /usr/include/linux!
I usually don't wanna exploit new kernel features :)

> Yeah, if you think that you knows better than they I won't write any other
> mail about this topic, since it would be a "no comment gabu" category
> about yourself.
:)

> However, READ my last long mail again, and even Linux thinks this topic the
> same way as me.
Linus is a (the) kernel hacker, but my opinion is KISS (Keep It Small, Simple)

You still haven't shown any real life example when I should keep duplicate (!)
includes on my system, or else...

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team