[MPlayer-users] Correct way to record a realaudio stream?

Raphael Clifford raphael at clifford.net
Thu Jul 31 17:39:04 CEST 2003

I am attempting to record a real audio stream so I can listen to it on
my laptop when it is disconnected.  I am using

mplayer rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/sat1230.ra  -dumpfile file.ra
-dumpstream

Is this the wrong way to do it?  I ask because  file.ra is not playable
in an official realplayer at this point.  The linux realplayer plays
with no sound (it is an audio only file!) and the windows one simply
sits there buffering forever.  It seems, at a guess, that the official
realplayers think the data should still be streaming over the net
despite having been given a file.  Obviously the don't receive any data
over the net and so don't play anything.  The URL can be played
perfectly well in the official realplayers.

The main reason I would like to use an official realplayer is that I
can't work out how to seek/skip in mplayer for this type of file.  Is
there anyway to do this?

Cheers,
Raphael
P.S.