[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder/crop => image distortion

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jul 31 11:03:10 CEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:14:26PM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >As to how it looks in practice, I don't regularly try these things
> >myself since I'm familiar with the problems behind them. And all I can
> >really say is that I think you're much better off throwing away one
> >extra line of luma (which is probably a bit noisy anyway if it's right
> >by the black border) than misaligning the chroma or trying to
> >translate it over.
>
> So, it boils down to six one way and half a dozen the other.
> There probably won't be much difference in the final output,
> certainly not enough to warrant this much discussion.

No, Jonathan. What it boils down to is a know-it-all newbie spouting
off crap without any understanding whatsoever of what video formats
and video compression are. There's not much more annoying than someone
who refuses to listen to quantitative facts (i.e. yv12 cannot be
cropped to odd sizes/offsets) and keeps trying to disguise those facts
as someone else's personal bias. Normally I try to be polite and
helpful on this list. I don't think I did anything ugly to provoke
you, but you seem determined to argue or undermine every point I make
about these technical matters, which should be explained by someone
who understands the logic behind them, not someone who says "Hey I
encoded with these options and it seems fine and I don't want to lose
one line of the image!!!" with no understanding of what he's talking
about...

Rich