[MPlayer-users] Mpeg2 Encoder.

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Wed Jul 30 13:06:56 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 11:31, Konstantinos Karydas wrote:
> Does anyoby know any good mpeg2 encoder for Linux or Windows or both? I
> want to encode the best mpeg2 from a DVD so that I will play this on
> mplayer and it will have both the best quality and the best structure for a
> smooth (without any problems at all) playback. Does it have to be Mpeg2-PS,
> Mpeg2-TS or what? I am not very familiar with all the mpeg2 formats. Please
> help.
Hi,
	I'm not that sure of what exactly you want to obtain. To start, DVDs are
already mpeg2, so there's no need to re-encode them. If you want to shrink
them down, just to see the result in mplayer, maybe mpeg4 (libavcodec) is a
better choice. MPEG2 is only useful if you want to later author it on a DVD
or SVCD.
Regards