[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder/crop => image distortion

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jul 29 10:42:50 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Or more likely they's just stupid. DVD is limited in bitrate, and you
> will reduce quality by encoding worthless junk...

That's right, if someone does it a different way than you would
have, they must be stupid.

DVD movies have borders that vary from zero to tens of pixels.
They vary in size from about 4.5 GB to 7.5 for a 1.5 to 2.5 hour
movie. Newer ones are usually smaller in data size. There is also
a significant range of quality of DVD movie transfer and
encodings. The movies which have noticeable noise from the MPEG
encoding are older movies, but I've seen no significant
relationship between those three variables (borders, data size,
and quality).

To me, this suggests that there is such a huge number of bits
available on a DVD that no special effort is needed to get good
quality with modern MPEG-2 encoders. The people who do the
encoding simply don't have to waste all the time we do cropping,
resizing, and tweaking to get the best results. Maybe they just
have better things to do with their time.

Jonathan Rogers