[MPlayer-users] hard disk problem

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jul 29 04:52:50 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:59:03PM +0000, Andrea Meroni wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I noticed a strange difference of performance between my dvd drive and my hard
> disk: the dvd drive plays AVI and DVD perfectly, the AVI stored in the hard disk
> seems to be a little jerky also with -cache 8192.

Is your AVI file detected by mplayer as non-interleaved? If so,
enabling cache will seriously hurt performance, and there will be a
lot of seeking regardless of whether cache is enabled (which may bog
your system down with disk io). This is a side effect of the way
mplayer g1's demuxers work, and your best bet (if this is the problem)
would be to just remux the avi file with mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy.

Rich