[MPlayer-users] Video editor advice?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 27 11:54:24 CEST 2003

Dave Botsch wrote:
> 1. Use mplayer to figure out start and end points of each "segment". Dump these
> segments to separate audio and video streams (I believe you can use -ss to
> specify start time and -frames the number of frames to play... a note... if you
> are using the OSD, the time shown and the time you pass to -ss don't match up
> for some reason.. some trial and error to get it to start at the right place
> will be necessry).

Yikes!  That's a load of work for simple editing.

I would suggest looking at -edl and -edlout...  I tried to use it for
editing, but -edlout isn't precise enough to make it easy.  You have to
edit each one by hand, test it by playing the video with the edl, and
making sure it skips right where you want it to.  Then, finally, you can
use mplayer and the edl to dump an edited file.  I though it was way too
much work to be worthwhile, but it would be a lot easier than guessing
the -ss positions for each point...  Although, mencoder doesn't work
with -edl, so you have to use mplayer to dump the edited file.

Note to developers:  I would suggest a minor addition to '-edlout'...
Instead of one key (i), have two (j?).  Then, it would be easy for
someone to mark the beginning (i) and end (j) of a section they want to
skip.  Provided -edlout is precise enough, nobody would even have to
edit the edl file.  Then, it would be nice if mencoder supported the
edl, so you wouldn't have to create a second (edited) copy of the file
before re-encoding, you could skip that step all together.
   Of course, it's just a suggestion.