[MPlayer-users] MP4 file format

Ross claymen at walan.org
Sat Jul 26 07:43:42 CEST 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 1:38 pm, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:34:58PM +0800, Ross wrote:
> > I know anything quicktime is a pain in the ass, but whats wrong with
> > matroska, from the looks of it, its a pretty good container format.
>
> There are plenty old discussions of what's wrong with matroxka in the
> archives, so I don't want to dig up the whole argument again. Feel
> free to search on your own.
If only I had the free time... but I do remember some arguments about it but
at the time I didnt take much notice of it being i didnt know much bout
container formats etc at the time.

> My basic complaint is inefficiency (wasted
> space) and overall ugliness, but it may also have issues with
> super-precise audio seeking.
I was under the impression that it was pretty efficient but I havent looked at
the code or api for it so I wouldnt really know. I will have to have a look
at it and see.

> It was designed by people working with
> Windows and C++, who, IMO, don't understand proper video demuxer
> design like the core mplayer developers do.
Maybe a release of the mplayer teams own container format :) I read that you
have done the basic work on one, eg that you have the API but it just isnt
coded, maybe a public release or a notice put up looking for those to work on
it :)

> Also they have a nasty
> habit of resorting to childish personal attacks rather than arguing
> about the merits of the format.
Unfortunantly you will always find some who when they cant win an argument on
facts and figures will resort to personal attacks. One can only hope they
learn that this is not the way.

> Rich

Anyway thanx for the reply. In my opinion there is a need for a good container
format that isnt encumbered. I hope to see how well matroska performs, and as
to wether we will see mplayer teams own container format. Is it time for a
"Battle of the Container Formats"....

btw, please excuse any bad spelling, a night out partying doesnt do much for
the ability to spell :(

- Ross