[MPlayer-users] Newbie can't even watch a damn dvd

xi xizard at enib.fr
Thu Jul 24 04:32:19 CEST 2003

tt uu wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am attempting to migrate from Windows, and don't
> have as much time as I would like... I am determined
> to rid myself of the accursed MS but am finding it
> hard to get into linux - no mates you see... Anyway, I
> have mplayer running in Mandrake 9.1. I just installed
> from the M9.1 disc but I don't seem to be able to play
> bought or hired discs. I have a Geforce 4 card and
> when trying to get mplayer installed using the
> instructions from the documentation found it a little
> hard to do all the things before actually making and
> installing mplayer. It runs fine with avis and will
> show ripped vobs (using SR2.41 from windows) but i
> can't manage to get it to show discs. I tried to use
> the correct syntax and all from the documentation in a
> terminal but it gives all these (after a long spiel)
> failure to read using libdvdread messages and then
> says opening and starts buffering and gets to about
> 19.8% or so and stops. It seems to be still reading
> the disc (ie it won't open and is reading the thing).
> Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I have to
> uninstall and install a proper mplayer download from
> the site (ie mandrake took some stuff out due to
> copyright issues?)? If so, will I need to install all
> the drivers and other stuff as well (for the graphics
> card, etc) or has mandrake already done that?
> I will eventually be interested in getting mencoder to
> rip and then convert to xvid (currently using
> vidomi)but I will try and walk before flying :-)
> Peace
> Antonovich
> -running Mandrake 9.1 on an AthlonXP2000 with an MSI
> geforce4-64meg with 512 ddr333 dual boot with MSxp

Hi,

Most DVD are encrypted, and I believe that's why you can't see them. I
think Mandrake mplayer's packages don't include dvdCSS which is
necessary to read those DVDs (legal issues).
In order to read those DVDs, you can uninstall mplayer packages you have
installed, and try these from Penguin Liberation Front: http://plf.zarb.org/
Or, if there are too much dependencies issues, try to compile mplayer
from source.
To play the DVD, use a command like:
mplayer -dvd-device /dev/hd. -dvd 1
(/dev/hd. must be your DVD reader, for example /dev/hdc. 1 is the DVD
title (can be 2, 3, ... depends on the DVD)).

In order to see if it is a hardware problem, you should also try xine.
Just add libdvdcss-1.2.7 from http://www.rpmfind.net for example and
launch xine provided with mdk9.1. Then click on DVD and play button.

Good luck,
				Xavier

--
E-mail: