[MPlayer-users] Re: gmplayer and SUID

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jul 23 06:05:13 CEST 2003

Juan C. Gallardo wrote:
> If you try to run gmplayer it seems like GTK don't allow the program to run
> because is surpassing the X-server, and a small message say something about
> doing a helper file.. which I have no idea how to do it.
> Then looking again in internet I found a "helper" file, the one I wrote
> before.
> And even though I tried it, it didn't work. That's why I was asking if some
> one else knows how to access the gmplayer once set the SUID bit.
>
> I hope this time I explained better my self.
>
> Juan C. Gallardo

Just to clarify, you are getting that message from GTK+, it has nothing
to do with X.  I've seen this complain from GTK, that it isn't very
secure to run a GTK app that is SUID...  Yes, it talks about a helper
application, but that is to tell programmers that they should have a
seperate, non-GTK app that is SUID, instead of the GTK app...  Unless
you are going to rewrite GMPlayer, you really can't make a 'helper' app.

There are a few things you could do.  You could run gmplayer as root
using sudo, instead of setting it SUID.  You could visit the GTK site,
and download and install an older version of glib/gtk.  Or, as I would
suggest, you can download the source to the version of GTK you are
using, and search through the source for part of the text of that
message, to see where you can disable that...  There's nothing I hate
more than a program that thinks it knows things better than I do, and
second-guesses me.  I don't recall what version of GTK does this (it
might just be some distro-specific package).