[MPlayer-users] Fast recompress

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jul 22 21:49:49 CEST 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 02:46:11PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:42:05 +0200
> Gianci <gianci at despammed.com> wrote:

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Is it possible for mencoder to encode a movie skipping some of the
> > decompress/re-compress pipeline stages like the VirtualDub Fast
> > Recompress mode does?
>
> No
>
> Unless you want something like -ovc copy
>
> > If not, it would be a very nice feature for future releases.
>
> Why ? mencoder is thought for maximum quality encoding.
> If you want to have a faster encode with less quality, you
> can play with the avcodec settings

I think you misunderstand. What Gianci wants *is* maximum quality
encoding, by avoiding the reencode step. It's like -ovc copy, but with
limited reencoding for parts that need it (like the very beginning, if
you don't want to begin at a keyframe, or for edits around commercials
when you're removing them). You could also imagine uses like removing
an ugly watermark or other tv-station/release-group crap (what's the
diff; they're both thugs :), and only reencoding the frames where it
was visible.

Anyway, mencoder is a bad hack and isn't worth fixing, but I would
like to do something like this with G2's version of mencoder, once we
get around to it...

Rich