[MPlayer-users] Re: gmplayer and SUID

Juan C. Gallardo jgamo at cantv.net
Tue Jul 22 11:00:20 CEST 2003

I'm sorry I didn't give enough information.
I'm using a old laptop with an ATI videocard, the only way I manage to use
full screen with this video is using the vidix output driver.
This vidix need root permission to access the video memory, and be able to
work.
Reading the mplayer manual they say that or you run the program as a root or
you set the SUID bit.
Because Im the only user in my computer I though it wasn't a problem to set
the SUID bit.
The same as DGA...
I did and it worked fine, but only mplayer.
If you try to run gmplayer it seems like GTK don't allow the program to run
because is surpassing the X-server, and a small message say something about
doing a helper file.. which I have no idea how to do it.
Then looking again in internet I found a "helper" file, the one I wrote
before.
And even though I tried it, it didn't work. That's why I was asking if some
one else knows how to access the gmplayer once set the SUID bit.

I hope this time I explained better my self.

Juan C. Gallardo