[MPlayer-users] Encoding for Pocket PC

Francis Siefken fsiefken at cs.uu.nl
Tue Jul 22 00:12:00 CEST 2003

"Ian Molton" <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> I'd like to re-encode some movies for my Pocket PC, but for some reason Im
having trouble playing the resulting files.

Take a look in the PocketMVP encoding forums at www.projectmayo.com , lot's
of talk about encoding for pocketpc - maybe they have some solutions for
your issues.

> My target is the smallest filesize movie with stereo sound that will play
at 320x240 on my Toshiba e740 PocketPC.

> anyone worked this out? can recommend better codecs / players / anything?

Yes, for absolutely smallest filesize I've found realmedia best. I use
160x120 @ 12 fps or lower and can still read the subtitles and documentaries
and understand the speech. Helix realmedia encoder is free as a developer
download, registration required. Also take a look in the alternative
audio/video codec forum at doom9.org forums. For video clips where sound
quality is important I use VP3+Ogg instead - slightly bigger filesize but
still better then divx/xvid for slightly better quality for low bitrate.
Recently AAC+ glored at the horizon - at the moment the best high quality
audio codec - unfortunately no pocketpc can play it YET (I am not talking
about AAC).

Francis