[MPlayer-users] Fast recompress

rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jul 20 17:14:50 CEST 2003

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:42:05 +0200
>
> Gianci <gianci at despammed.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Is it possible for mencoder to encode a movie skipping some of the
> > decompress/re-compress pipeline stages like the VirtualDub Fast
> > Recompress mode does?
>
> No
>
> Unless you want something like -ovc copy
>
> > If not, it would be a very nice feature for future releases.
>
> Why ? mencoder is thought for maximum quality encoding.
> If you want to have a faster encode with less quality, you
> can play with the avcodec settings
>
> 			Attila Kinali

I haven't used virtualdub for a long time, since mencoder and avidemux became
usable for most of what I need on linux, but IIRC "fast recompress" in vdub
only eliminates some extra colorspace conversions, and only worked to/from
codecs that could output/input YUV instead of RGB.  The included video
filters mostly worked with YUV data as well, so things were sped up a bit by
not converting to RGB and back.  My understanding is that the situation is
similar in mencoder - colorspace conversions are already performed only when
necessary, which should mean that most of the time they're not performed at
all.  Anybody w/ deeper knowledge of vdub or mencoder, please feel free to
correct me :-)

Andrew Mahone