[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Playlist problem (Bug?), input file problem etc.

Konstantinos Karydas kkar at intracom.gr
Wed Jul 16 14:18:25 CEST 2003

Hello,
a) firstly, I have been trying to use the playlist feature of the Mplayer
but it crashes just a little while after the Mplayer starts playing the
second mpeg2 video file. I.e. the first mpeg2 video file plays correctly,
but when Mplayer opens the second mpeg2 file (from a video list file
(videolist.txt) I have created), it crashes after the playback of just a few
seconds. In the terminal, I give the command below:
mplayer -playlist videolist.txt

So, is there a Bug in the playlist feature of the Mplayer or what am I doing
wrong?

b) secondly, I have been playing a lot with the piping features of the
mplayer. Since I have an VIA EPIA-M 1000 and the platform is very slow
compared to fast PC's, I am looking for a way to make things faster with
lesser processing power.
For this reason, the piping I have been doing to pass Mplayer commands the
way below:
# cmd_program | mplayer -slave somefile.mpg

I have it replaced by the much faster:
# mplayer -input file=mplcmd.txt somefile.mpg

***But I had to use a structure like:
---------
nothing

seek +15 type=2

nothing

pause

---------

Please note that I include all the visible "new lines" between the commands,
otherwise Mplayer does not get the commands at all. Also please note that
the "nothing" command does not exist(!) but I have to use this so that:
a) the Mplayer gets the first command I give (seek in this case). Otherwise
if I had constructed the file like:
-----
seek +15 type=2

pause

-----
then for some reason the Mplayer would not(!) get the seek command but it
would implement only the "pause" command!
b) the Mplayer will first seek to the given time (+15) and DISPLAY(!) the
first frame at this point and then pause there. Otherwise the MPlayer would
seek to the given time but it would not display the frame at this point
(instead it would display paused the frame before the seek!) but only after
you un-pause (resume playback).

So, it looks like we have two 'nice' Bugs in the MPlayer! Has anyone of you
ever noticed the mentioned problems? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, best regards,
Kostas