[MPlayer-users] Re: Playing xcd image files

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat Jul 12 21:01:06 CEST 2003

Martin Collins wrote:
> If you have the cuefile cd into the directory with the movie and
>    mplayer -vcd 2 -cuefile movie.cue
> or
>    mplayer vcd://2 -cuefile movie.cue
> if you have a CVS mplayer.
>
> I have seen movies from that group that would not play like this. It
> seems some people are creating invalid XCDs.

I've been playing around with mode2cdmaker and mplayer some more and had
a very hard time getting the movie to play, either with cue:// or vcd://
straight from the drive. I discovered that about one in twenty times I
tried to play the movie with cue://, it would work; the other times, it
would fail immediately with either "end of file" or because it thought
the movie was a TiVO file. You heard me correctly: it's
non-deterministic, even reading from a local filesystem.

I spent hours fighting with the thing, since I thought mode2cdmaker was
messing up. Now, I'm fairly certain it's mplayer that's screwing up. It
never has a problem when I specify -nocache, but the playback is jerky.
When I use a cache value of greater than 2000 (for cue://) or 4000 (for
vcd://), it becomes chaotically unreliable. Perhaps there's a timing bug
or race condition?

Jonathan Rogers