[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Rett Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Sat Jul 12 06:19:28 CEST 2003

>>If you save the incoming stream to a file (using "-dumpvideo"), you'll
>>probably find that MPlayer will crash - in the same way - if you later try
>>to play that file.  (The good news, though, is that will give you a
>>repeatable way to produce the crash - which should help people debug the
>>problem.)
>>
>>         Ross.

Ross:

I have used the -dumpvideo option when testing this rtp issue with mplayer playing
multicast streams from videolan server.

If you remember I said that I got a lot of garbage in the video window, and then
mplayer crashes.  You mentioned that you thought it might be the network.  Well,
after using the -dumpvideo option, I have found that is definately NOT the network.
 The stream.dump file that gets created plays back perfectly, even though mplayer
won't play it live, it saves a valid stream with the -dumpvideo option.

This tells me the data is getting to mplayer properly (LAN is working, etc) and that
there is something wrong in mplayer when the video is demuxed and decoded live.

There is a sample stream.dump file available for anonymous ftp from
ftp.rtwnetwork.com.   Its called stream.dump, and its in the pub dir.

Videolan server is very easy to set up and test with - you can get it at videolan.org.

Any assistance you can offer in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
If there is any other information you require from me please let me know.

Thanks for your interest in this issue.

Rett Walters