[MPlayer-users] fbdev: screensize is smaller than video size

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 11 03:02:17 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:06:53PM +0200, justin case wrote:
> i used to have the same problem, since i have a tv with vga in wich only
> accepts 640x480 and nothing else. a brilliant solution for me was using

Impossible. Horizontal resolution does not exist in an analog video
signal. If it accepts 640x480, it also accepts 32x480, 12800x480, or
whatever you like, as long as you get the timings right (same as vga
640x480).

> vesa. vesa seems to scale whatever res. you feed it in hardware (no
> cpu-usage and brilliant quality!) and even better - depending on your grphic
> card - you can run vidix on top of it, if the vesa-output causes any trouble
> (mine did cut the picture, looked like -double didn't work).

It can only scale in hardware if you have vidix support. Otherwise
it's no better than fbdev.

Rich