[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jul 9 17:30:23 CEST 2003

>I don't know that code and RTP in general, but reading the sources it
>seems that in this case the presence of MP2T in the sdp file should make
>demux_is_mpeg_rtp_stream() return TRUE, right?

Yes - so the code in "video_read_properties()" will (correctly) fall
through to the MPEG header parsing code.

>In the logs it's evident that ts_check_file isn't called

It's quite correct that "ts_check_file()" isn't being called, because the
input stream is *not* a file - it's a RTP stream.  "ts_check_file()" could
never work on such stream, because file read operations would fail.

>, so I wonder what is stopping the probing of the file format.

The fact that the stream isn't a file :-)

MPlayer needs to check for MPEG Transport Stream data even when the input
stream is not a file.  I presume that this is supposed to be happening in
the MPEG header parsing code in "video_read_properties()" (because this is
where MPEG Video Elementary Streams get parsed).

For all I know, this may be working OK - it's just that the MPEG decoder
happened to crash on Rett Walters because it couldn't grok data loss.

>Does demux_rtp  build a new_demuxers_demuxer on the content of the rtp
>stream or does it  do its own demuxing?

For an explanation, grep for "DEMUXER_TYPE_RTP" in "demuxer.c".

         Ross.