[MPlayer-users] OSD & Subtitles

eminem Stan greatrambo at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:47:17 CEST 2003

Hi, this is my first post, and my first time to use pipermail, quite
difficult.
My question is about language support for subtitles.
Mplayer, and gmplayer work perfectly on my Redhat 8.0 pentiim III 800Mhz
512MB,
even better than windoze media player.
However trying to load arabic subtitles leads to garbage and an error in the
console.
I tried microsoft's arabic ttf with different encodings for input and
display but I just get different types of garbage.
I then tried the raw => ttf converter in the TOOLS directory and made
different sets of encodings with and without unicode ( for arabic iso-8859-6
cp-1256 ). Then I used the generated RAW and .desc files with corresponding
settings in gmplayer. The effects varied from crashes to more garbage, and
sometimes errors in the console about bad syntax in the .desc file....
It is noteworthy however that I have arabic rendering everywhere in kde
working perfectly ( including the console !!). I thus tried to compile
kmplayer kmp etc to see if it solves the problem but they are all alpha and
broken. Dead end.
Help?!