[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Rett Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Wed Jul 9 04:37:42 CEST 2003

>RTSP doesn't 'require' that audio and video get sent in separate streams -
>that happens only if the RTSP server chooses to do this.  RTSP/RTP sessions
>can also be sent in a single, multiplexed stream.
>
>It's quite likely that the LIVE.COM RTSP/RTP support can be made to play
>these streams (if it can't already).  (It's possible, though, that the
>VideoLAN server is not standards-compliant in some way.)  Could you please
>re-run MPlayer with the "-V" option, i.e.,
>         mplayer -V rtsp://<whatever>
>and send me the output?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

The output is attached below - It looks like I need to create an SDP file and use it
instead - since videolan doesn't provide SDP information. I think the network is
unreachable message is a mis-nomer since I know there is a multicast going on and
its viewable with xine and the videolan client.  Do you have any ideas on how to
create an SDP file to describe a single muxed A/V MPEG2-TS stream?

I tried with both mplayer -V rtsp://234.5.6.7:1234 and mplayer -V
rtsp://@234.5.6.7:1234  the output is below.  I am using a CVS version dated 6-24,
complied with the appropriate switches mentioned on the live.com website.

AFAIK, videolan uses more or less standards complaint MPEG2-TS wrapped in UDP
packets sent as either multicast or unicast.

Anyway the mplayer is output below:

Thanks,

Rett

ot at is6974 MPlayer-20030624]# ./mplayer -V rtsp://@234.5.6.7:1234
Using GNU internationalization
Original domain: messages
Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
Current domain: mplayer
Current dirname: /usr/share/locale

MPlayer dev-CVS-030623-23:00-2.96 (C) 2000-2003 Árpád Gereöffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Reading config file /usr/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
Reading config file /root/.mplayer/config
Reading /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 136 video codecs
CommandLine: '-V' 'rtsp://@234.5.6.7:1234'
get_path('font/font.desc') -> '/root/.mplayer/font/font.desc'
font: can't open file: /root/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
init_freetype
Using MMX (with tiny bit MMX2) Optimized OnScreenDisplay
Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
get_path('input.conf') -> '/root/.mplayer/input.conf'
Can't open input config file /root/.mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
get_path('@234.5.6.7:1234.conf') -> '/root/.mplayer/@234.5.6.7:1234.conf'

Playing rtsp://@234.5.6.7:1234
Not a Realmedia rtsp url. Trying standard rtsp protocol.
Connected to server: 234.5.6.7
Stream not seekable!
Failed to get a SDP description from URL "rtsp://@234.5.6.7:1234": connect() failed:
Network is unreachable
No stream found.

DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x831c2b8
vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not inited..

Exiting... (End of file)