[MPlayer-users] Re: bug in FFmpeg?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jul 8 23:16:01 CEST 2003

Alex [CROW] wrote:
> I'm currently using MPlayer 0.90 (non-CVS), downloaded as SRPM from the main
> site. The problem is: playback of AVIs compressed using DivX (generally v3)
> is scrambled. Looks like the display is torn into horisontal linear chunks
> and these chunks are slightly moving and sometimes overlapping each one.
>
> This happens with almost all divx avi movies of high bitrates, fast movements
> and if using -vo xv.
> I don;t use other vo because they all go too slow.
> NOTE: This implies to XVideo ONLY!!! X11 is ok, but slow.
>
> All other formats and codecs  (supported :) __go well__ (MPEG1,2 QuickTime and
> WMA,WMV...)

If "-vo xv" has trouble, but "-vo x11" doesn't, I would suspect the
components that come later than libavcodec. For instance, I have a very
similar problem with any video wider than about 750 on my TNT2 Vanta. I
have very few videos this large, so I didn't know about the problem for
quite a while. I get the problem playing the high resolution Matrix
trailer (1000 columns wide), which is SVQ3. I transcoded it to MPEG-4
using lavc and the result has the exact same problem, though my machine
can play it without dropping too many frames. Both play clearly with
"-vo x11", but have the junk with Xine.

You  talk about "movies of high bitrates, fast movements", but how about
the frame size?

Jonathan Rogers
Jonathan Rogers