[MPlayer-users] Playing directly from a CD

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Tue Jul 8 02:29:54 CEST 2003

Dominik Mierzejewski said:

>> So I tried to build with cdparanoia, but I seem to have found a bug in
>> RedHat's latest release of GCC (segfaults compiling MPlayer with
>> "./configure --enable-gui --disable-mencoder ; make" which worked
>> before up2date :-(  )

The answer to the compile problem seems to be that Red Hat's current
release (3.2.2-5) of GCC is broken.  Going to rawhide (3.3-12) fixed it.

So, now I have compiled MPlayer with cdda support.

A few notes, in case anyone is following the thread, or stumbles on it
trying to resolve similar issues.

1. The normal glob symbol "*" seems to convey "all tracks" to MPlayer.
Great.

2. Based on the keybindings listing, there doesn't seem to be any way to
skip tracks, just normal time based skipping with arrows.  Less great.

3. The SDL audio driver does not seem to work well.  I run KDE so artsd is
usually running.  For some reason MPlayer won't use arts when it can't
open /dev/dsp directly, but it will use SDL.  The OSS driver seems to work
well (at least at paranoia=2).  Using SDL causes skips when the system us
"loaded" (i.e. when I scroll a web page).  This is all fine for me since I
will normally be using -ao oss:/dev/dsp1 to play through my stereo's USB
input anyway.

If anyone wants to hurl abbreviated epithets (a popular hobby on this
list) and prove me wrong about skipping tracks at a time I'd love to hear
it.

-Peter