[MPlayer-users] Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Rett Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Mon Jul 7 05:19:07 CEST 2003

I have noticed that Mplayer CVS now supports MPEG2 TS files, I was wondering what
possibility there may be to have Mplayer work as a client to VideoLAN server
(www.videolan.org), which sends MPEG2 TS (encapsulated in UDP protocol) over a
network either as unicast or multicast.  I have tried using the RTSP/RTP info from
live.com but they don't seem to be compatible with VideoLAN's stream. (videolan puts
audio and video in one stream, not two as rtsp seems to require).

VideoLAN has a client, VLC, but it support for different codecs and output devices
(Like DXR3) is limited - I would much prefer using MPlayer.

Xine CVS is able to play multicast streams from videolan, but xine isn't very
command line friendly.

Thanks for any help or input anyone may be able to provide.

BTW, I can test any patches anyone might have for this - as I have a substantial
network and several linux machines at my disposal.

Thanks,

Rett Walters