[MPlayer-users] Mencoder audio pass messes up video pass

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jul 5 04:49:23 CEST 2003

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 03:02:33AM +0200, Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with mencoder in three-pass encoding. mencoder commands and
> output of the commands are also provided.
>
> When first encoding audio (with ovc frameno), this seems to go completely
> wrong (every frame is `skipped'), but playing the resulting frameno.avi
> appears to work and sounds perfect.[1]
>
> Then, the in the first video pass (with oac copy), mencoder does not seem to
> 'progress', as, again, it appears to be skipping every frame, and Pos: does
> not seem to increase (always stays 0.0 seconds). After this run, it tells me
> the videobitrate is not a number.[2]
>
> Third pass (second video) then fails, probably because divx2pass.log is messed
> up (empty); mencoder segfaults.[3]
>
> However, when I completely skip the first (audio) pass and directly encode
> the video first (with oac copy), the dvd is nicely encoded. But then I have
> a52 (AC3) audio, which takes a bit too much space, which I'd rather spend on
> audio.[4,5]

If you skip the audio pass at the beginning (and I would definitely
recommend skipping it), then don't use -oac copy for the video passes.
Actually, you can perhaps use it for the first video pass for speed,
since you'll be throwing away the output of that one anyway, but for
the final pass, use -oac mp3lame with your desired -lameopts.

Rich