[MPlayer-users] CRC problems while reading DVD - possible solution

sdfg afg robotdev at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 15:31:01 CEST 2003

I have had a problem when reading certain DVDs where
CRC fails and syslog reports:
kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x50
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc),
sector 12097580

I checked the DVD for scratches, checked with google
for answers, and saw that others had this same
problem.  I am running current (as of this email)
mplayer, my DVD drive works on other DVDs, just
sometimes it cant read.

On a lark I tried to play the other titles that were
on this particular DVD (trying to see if it was a
scratch only near the center that may be affecting
this), I noticed that they played perfect (even while
doing a major compile in the background on a pIII 800
- good work on optimization guys, a couple versions
ago that was not possible).  I then tried to play
different chapters (even though I had fast forwarded
through the whole movie before and still had the
errors with CRC).  To my suprise it worked perfectly,
I went through a couple chapters and eventually tried
chapter 1.  All worked perfectly, then tried without
the chapter argument and that too worked like a dream
(like the first time that I tried to watch this
movie).

What I think the problem may be is in the CSS decoding
with cached keys (I changed disks, watched a totally
different DVD, etc there is no way its cache from the
drive itself - even rebooted a few times with kernel
changes, which I needed to do for other reasons).  I
*think* (read I have not looked at the code, dont have
time for new projects, but by listening to Obi Wan
Kenobi and trusting in my feelings...) that by reading
the different chapters and titles I was able to cause
a reget of the key (I never thought to delete the key
before this fixed itself) and that fixed the problem.
I am not sure if this is the case, not sure about
anything.  I do not know if this solution will work
for anyone else or not.  Just my experience.