[MPlayer-users] Re: BUG: crash with -vo sdl and xscreensaver stopper

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Thu Jul 3 02:51:10 CEST 2003

> Yes, sdl's mode switching is important when one doesn't have hardware
> color conversion and scaling. I guess I just haven't had a reason to
> try it, since xv's always worked. Also, someone's mentioned that sdl
> automatically uses space above and below the movie, which is nice for
> subtitles and OSD.

The SDL output also gets fullscreen right when xmga doesn't. Sometimes
pushign the fullscreen button followed by modeswitch button works,
sometimes you have to push fullscreen too to not just have a movie size
of 1024x768 viewed through the 640x480 you just switched to. I can't
remember the details of the behaviour, but in the end, SDL seems to get
it right, right away with minimal fuss and tinkering.