[MPlayer-users] Re: Playing xcd image files

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu Jul 3 01:05:35 CEST 2003

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:16:35 -0500
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:

> That would seem to be right. What I'm wondering at this point is why
> there has to be a special bridge filesystem at all. Why can't
> mplayer just read directly from a CD track, regardless of its type,
> mode, or format? I suspect it's just that the vcd:// input module
> expects VCDisms, which probably include the bridge filesystem and
> other details.

XCD was invented by Windows guys so maybe there is a technical reason
they did it that way. I can see how it is useful to be able to mount
one as a normal CD and see what's there, perhaps have ancilliary stuff
like subs or jpegs available to regular tools.

> I have used cdrdao to write OGMs straight to Mode 2 CD tracks.
> MPlayer won't read them with vcd://2, but it can read them using the
> cdfs Linux driver.

Shudder. cdfs crashes my machine hard, and I'm not the only one.

> Then, it would be easy to make a
> bootable and self sufficient movie CD with eMovix or GeeXbox. Of
> course, only mplayer would read it.

Nice idea, but if someone gave me a movie that I had to reboot
to watch I wouldn't watch it. Apart from the hassle of rebooting the
potential for mischief is too great.

Martin