[MPlayer-users] Re: Not able to play TV sound with btaudio

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 2 23:47:25 CEST 2003

Serial Cleaner wrote:
> "sox -c 1 -u -r 32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp" works, but not fine.
> The problem is always to be able to listen sound from /dev/dsp2 with MPlayer.
> I have read the Mplayer-users archives and no message could help me.

I've also looked for such an option in the MPlayer documentation, with
no luck; it may not have that capability. It really is somewhat outside
of MPlayer's main focus.

What's wrong with using sox? Are there pops, or is the sound out of sync
by a constant amount? If it's the latter, you may be able to get either
sox or MPlayer to introduce a delay. Also, what's wrong with just using
line in on the sound card? It seems to me that the main advantage of
btaudio is for recording, rather than just listening.

By the way, I have succeeded in using mencoder to record from my capture
card to an AVI, while playing the AVI with mplayer. As long as your
machine can handle CPU and/or IO load of encoding and decoding
simultaneously in real time, it'll work fine. I used lavc's mjpeg
encoder, and my 800 MHz Duron could keep up with 400x300 video.

Jonathan Rogers