[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer -identify with ogm files

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 2 16:05:35 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> There is a timestamp, yes, and of course it's kept if you cut the file
> (how could it not be?!?!). But it's anything but global or absolute.
> Countless DVDs reset to time 0 at every chapter break or randomly in
> the middle of nowhere.

Well, the original point was that MPEG Program Streams do have the
capability for global timestamps, even if DVDs don't always use it that
way. According to Mosu, it sounds like OGM is quite similar in that
regard, though other containers may not be.

I've seen DVDs that have consistent, global timestamps and ones that
behave like you describe. I don't pretend to understand all the timing
issues of media containers. In fact, I'm a newbie and trying to learn more.

Jonathan Rogers