[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer -identify with ogm files

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 2 14:29:50 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> ROFL, absolute timestamps in mpeg?!?! Check that DVD again... :((

I've checked many DVDs. Specifically, I've copied VOBs from DVDs using
tccat (from transcode) and split them into 1GB chunks. When I play the
first chunk using mplayer, time starts from 0:0:0. When I play a later
chunk, time starts from 0:30:0 or whatever the movie time is at that
point. I just tried one a couple of seconds ago.

Do my eyes deceive me? If you don't believe me, try this:

dd if=input.vob of=output.vob bs=1000000 skip=100 count=10

This will take about a 10MB chunk from about 100MB into input.vob and
put it in output.vob. Play output.vob with mplayer and watch the time.
Mine starts at about 190s in this case. Alternatively, try "mplayer -sb
100000000 input.vob".

Either there is some kind of global, absolute timestamp or mplayer
magically knows how far into the movie it is. Now that would be cool: a
clairvoyant input module for mplayer. All I'd have to do is: "mplayer
clair://the.movie.I.want.to.see". ;)

Jonathan Rogers